BestsellerBound

April 23, 2014, 12:32:20 PM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Enemies and Playmates  (Read 1217 times)
Darcia Helle
Darcia
Administrator

WWW Email
« on: August 02, 2010, 02:30:50 PM »

When the abused decide to fight back, the abuser's world might just shatter.

Lauren Covington's family maintains a grand facade that belies the life they live behind closed doors. Alex Covington, Lauren's father, keeps a tight rein on his family through dominance, abuse, and obsessive control. Consequently, Lauren doesn't believe she could ever trust a man, much less fall in love with one. When Lauren meets Jesse Ryder, her carefully constructed protective wall shatters. She falls hopelessly and completely in love. It's only fitting that Jesse is a private detective who had once worked for her father, had defied him, and was now the subject of Alex Covington's wrath.

Amidst devastating loss, betrayal, and her father's destructive pursuit of Jesse, Lauren finds the trust and love she had always longed for.

Enemies and Playmates is a romantic suspense. It's available in paperback and a variety of e-book formats. You can find all the purchasing information, as well as an excerpt, on my website: http://www.QuietFuryBooks.com or http://www.DarciaHelle.com. (Different URLs, same website.)

Click on the cover above to use the "Look Inside" feature on Amazon. You can also talk to me right here about anything related to this title!
« Last Edit: January 04, 2011, 08:57:34 AM by Darcia Helle » Logged

Darcia Helle
Darcia
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2010, 10:41:38 AM »

I've just made Enemies and Playmates a free download on Smashwords! I'm not sure how long I'll leave it that way, so download it soon!  Smiley

https://www.smashwords.com/profile/view/DarciaHelle

Joel Kirkpatrick

@jbkirkpat Tweets!

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2010, 11:56:03 AM »

Am I first in line?

can't tell really. I broke Smashwords an hour ago. They've not recovered.

When America Slew Her King is crap. Don't buy it!
Jennifer Lane

WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2010, 01:54:11 PM »

Yay! I downloaded it and it looks great.

Jennifer Lane
Author of With Good Behavior
Darcia Helle
Darcia
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 06:12:46 AM »

Joel, we won't tell Smashwords you're the one at fault!  Lips sealed

I hope you both enjoy the book!

calum

A reader and writer who likes to chat as well!

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 06:35:41 AM »

Have just downloaded a copy. It does look good. Thanks Darcia!

The Secret Writer
http://www.thesecretwriterblog.blogspot.com 
secretwriter1 - tweets!
The Secret Writer - on Goodreads
Darcia Helle
Darcia
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 06:48:08 AM »

I hope you like it, Calum!   Smiley

Darcia Helle
Darcia
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 09:44:09 AM »

I wrote this piece for my blog. Thought I'd share it here, as well.

Lyrical Inspiration

Ever have a song get stuck in your head? A line or two of the lyrics playing on a loop through your mind until it becomes a silent mantra? Annoying as that can be, sometimes it also provides inspiration.

My music addiction rivals my book addiction. If I’m not writing or reading, I’m listening to music. Some music lovers barely acknowledge lyrics. For me, the lyrics make the song.

When I write, I step inside my characters’ personalities. I need to feel what they feel, so that I can present them to my readers as a three-dimensional person, not just a character on a page. While writing my novel Enemies and Playmates, I had a relatively minor character whose impact on the story turned out to be much larger than his small part. His name is Stephen and he is the younger brother of Lauren, the main character.

Stephen’s character ran continually through my mind, along with the lyrics from two songs. The lyrics drove his character, as much as his character sparked the endless loop of the lyrics in my mind. The first was a line from The Struggle Within, a Metallica song from their Black album:

Home is not a home it becomes a hell… Turning it into your prison cell.

The other was a song called Fade from the Break The Cycle album by Staind. That entire song, in my mind, became Stephen’s song. I could hear him singing it, see him living it. One line from that song – But I never meant to fade away... – became Stephen’s plaintive cry.

I don’t know whether the songs sparked the character or Stephen’s character made me pay closer attention to the lyrics in those songs. I’m also not sure that it matters. Lyrics are pieces of a story. When I listen to a well written song, I can see that story play out in front of me. Sometimes it becomes more than a 3 to 5 minute vignette.

I am sure that what I visualize is most often not the same vision that inspired the song’s writer. However, that’s often the beauty of words. They can be many different things to many different people. It’s all in how we listen. Or how we read.

Joel Kirkpatrick

@jbkirkpat Tweets!

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 09:55:27 AM »

Having read about Stephen, and his torments, your post makes him more poignant. He was so lost, so close to safety, but couldn't speak for himself, even to save himself.

Very well done, Darcia.

When America Slew Her King is crap. Don't buy it!
Maria Savva
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 02:18:01 PM »

I can relate to a lot of what you say in that post, Darcia.  I'm one of those people who listens to all the lyrics in songs when I'm listening to them, and as you say, we form in our own mind what we think the meaning is and it becomes like a mini-story.
It was interesting to read about the inspiration for Stephen's character.  He was a bit of a tortured soul.

Darcia Helle
Darcia
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 05:56:01 PM »

Thank you, both! It's so good to have friends who get me.  Smiley

Darcia Helle
Darcia
Administrator

WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2011, 06:25:42 AM »

I've made this book a free download during Smashwords' Summer Sale! Here's the link:

https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/3957

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: