BestsellerBound

April 21, 2014, 07:03:38 AM
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Poll
Question: Do you read the dedications in books
Yes
No
Depends on my mood
Only if something catches my eye
I skim read them

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Dedications  (Read 416 times)
Ken Magee

Words can change the world.

WWW Email
« on: February 20, 2012, 04:34:57 AM »

Since I published my book last November, I've had a few friends and relatives who have 'commented' about the dedication I wrote. Mainly they were complaining (gently) that they had been left out, although there was one, who had been included, who felt that a different comment might have been better.

I wonder if it's worth the hassle, does anyone actually read the dedications?

What happens when ancient magic meets the internet? One thing is certain, modern life will never be the same again.
Ken Magee author page
Maria Savva
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 08:14:12 AM »

I usually read them Smiley

Doug DePew

In my natural environment

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 06:21:38 PM »

I do unless they're real long. I like them simple.

Jaime

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 08:18:15 PM »

Hm. I haven't had anyone comment on mind, though I've had a feeling that some people were upset that they were left out...

I reckon give a rat's butt. My story. My dedication. If you want me to dedicate it to you in the next round, bring me some chocolate or do my laundry so I have time to write. Haha.
Ken Magee

Words can change the world.

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 01:34:36 AM »

@Jaime... yeah, chocolate earns a mention!

A different approach is to make the dedication book specific rather than person oriented. It's a tactic I found while I was looking through some random dedications. It's from Eats Shoots & Leaves by Lynne Truss -

To the memory of the striking Bolshevik printers of St Petersburg who, in 1905, demanded to be paid the same rate for punctuation marks as for letters, and thereby directly precipitated the first Russian Revolution

Nice one, for a book about punctuation... and clever enough to deflect any complaints from friends and relatives?

What happens when ancient magic meets the internet? One thing is certain, modern life will never be the same again.
Ken Magee author page
WestofMars

Vive la Trevolution!

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 11:42:58 AM »

I don't do a dedication, but a thanks page, instead. In King Trevor, I thank a table. In my own defense, my rabbi told me to!

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: